If you haven’t already, it’s time to sign up for swim lessons!
What you need to know:
- Our city pools offer both group and private swim lessons.
- Your child must pass one level before moving onto the next.
- You may only sign up for one session at a time (this is to ensure placement at the correct level). However, you may sign up for any session this summer.
- There will be six sessions this summer. Classes meet Monday – Friday and are 45 minutes (except the Infant/Toddler class, which is only 30 minutes. For that class, a parent must accompany the child in the pool).
- Registration may only be done on the phone (928-373-5200) or in person (at City Hall, Parks & Rec Dept.)
- When you register, simply choose your preferred Level, Pool, and Time. Have back-ups ready because these fill up fast!
- To see the entire schedule, including pools and times, please click here and scroll to page 32.
Many parents have asked the question, “Will my child actually learn anything taking group swim lessons?” We did them and my only regret is that we only did one session. My daughter (age 3 at the time) had a major crush on her teacher and would do just about anything for him, including putting her face in the water. She learned to do “bobs” (going underwater all the way), kick using the edge, float, and really…just get comfortable in the water. They also learned what to do in case of an emergency and how to use a life vest. I do think there is a lot of value in their teaching methods and the group setting (peer pressure!). Private lessons are also available and that is a great option. All of the pools have a fun play area so your kids will look forward to their lessons (in spite of some initial trepidation, perhaps).
If you have questions or need more information, please contact the City of Yuma Parks and Recreation Dept.